The Irish Mirror newspaper highlighted an historical case of two mushroom sector workers who contracted “bird fanciers lung” which was reported in the Irish Medical Journal.
The two cases happened obviously some time ago in Co. Cavan in the compost production side of a mushroom facility. Both workers were treated at Cavan General Hospital, where one was said to have recovered fully after a course of treatment, while the other had ongoing problems associated with the disease.
Once again the hazards attendant to mushroom production are underscored by the medical journal report.
As the industry is well aware, all efforts should be undertaken to ensure worker safety.