There were warnings in the national press and media this summer about the potential for poisonings by mushrooms.
Due to the profusion of fungi that have fruited following the wet summer months - the perfect conditions for a bumper wild mushroom season - the warnings need to be heeded.
At the start of the month of September,the high profile case in Scotland of author Nicholas Evans, (The Horse Whisperer) and some chums who ate some wrongly identified mushrooms and ended up in A&E needing kidney dialysis - they nearly died. That hit the headlines in Scotland and was second item on the main evening television news.
One Fatality and one on the critical list in the Isle of Wight in England after the ingestion of what is reported to have been death cap mushrooms tragically drives home the message that one should never eat any mushroom that has not been positively identified and definitively ruled out as being of a poisonous variety. There’s loads of lovely mushrooms out there for the munching, just be 100% sure that they’re the edible kind.