The 1st International conference “Ukrainian mushroom growing: a strategy of success” is finished. The event has gathered 200 people from 8 countries, foremost, of course, from Ukraine.
The general sponsor of the conference was the world biggest producer of spawn, Sylvan. The other sponsors of the conference were Mykogen–Ukraine, Champion, Euromycel, Amycel, Mir Solomy.
The three-day event was filled with presentations and discussions. In particular, the situation on the EU mushroom market and Eastern Europe was discussed, the forums devoted to the National Association of mushroom producers, casing soil production, mushrooms pinning, hygiene of mushrooms farms, mushroom picking were held.
The consumption of mushrooms (except forest mushrooms) in Ukraine is estimated at 64 thousand tonnes, of which 10,000 tonnes is imported in canned form. The export of mushrooms is very small. More than 300 mushroom farms are working in the country. The most important events of the past year which have occurred on the mushroom market in Ukraine, were:
• Moving to phase III compost - in 2014, two composting plants began producing the phase III compost of, and in 2015 is plans to open new production of phase 3 compost.
• Exports of fresh mushrooms – up until 2014 Ukraine practically had no export of fresh champignons, and in 2014 significant quantities were shipped to Russia. (Exports to Russia were discontinued after the introduction of the embargo on imports of Ukrainian fruit and vegetable products by Russia in October, 2014).
• Reducing the number of farms due to withdrawal from the market of dozens of small producers.
The conference program included the following presentations:
• Mushroom production in Ukraine: state and prospects, Bogdan Tovstenko. Sylvan, Ukraine
• Situation in the Russian mushroom market, Alexander Khrenov, Sylvan, Russia
• Mushroom market in EU, Balash Erdei, Sylvan, Hungary
• How Poland become a leader in production of mushrooms, Nikodem Sakson, Poland
• Mushroom market in Moldova, Vasile Tabakaru, Amycel, Moldova
• Mushroom market in France, Mathieu Frédéric, Euromycel, France
• Methods of pre-shipment cooling of compost, Vladimir Yarmola, АСР Ukraina LLC
• Transition from Phase II to Phase III in practice, Artem Kovalenko, VKZ
• Permissive papers of mushroom farm, Artem Kovalenko, VKZ
• International standards for food safety. What exporter have to choose?, Ludmila Golovina. SGS Group, Ukraine
• The future of compost, Nikodem Sakson, Poland
• Casing structure, John Clay, Amycel, GB
• Casing soil in Poland, Artur Wojcieszuk, Wokas, Poland
• How to work with casing soil, Farida Fahrutdinova, Mikogen, Ukraine
• Association in Holland, Huub Hejer, Holland
• International standart GLOBAL G.A.P. – doors to international markets, Angelika Dosin, Lilia Audit, Ukraine
• Qualifying the hygiene of mushroom cultivation, Peter Gabris, Technical Sales Representative, Sylvan, Hungary
• Ukrainian myth about mushrooms disease fight: how the efforts are wasted, Bartosz Jan Skipor-Rybacki, Poland
• Control of Sciarid flies with nematodes, Michael Barth, E-Nema, Germany
• The influence of water in the mushroom cultivation, Henk Douven, Hedonk / Dofra, Netherlands
• Energy efficient substrate technology for oyster mushrooms, Vitaliy Sevastjanovich, PI Sevastjanovich, Ukraine
• Grain spawn as an element of successful mushroom production, Nina Bisko, Doctor of Biological Sciences, a leading researcher in the Department of Mycology Institute of Botany, Ukraine
• Optimization of technology growing Oyster mushrooms, Bandura Irina, assistant lecturer Agrotechnological Taurian State University, Ukraine
• Elements of industrial cultivation of Eryngi mushroom, Oksana Vasilenko, Chairman of KFH "Zhovtneve", Ukraine
• Growing of Shiitake, Dmitry Bahlukov, chief pilot production "Esmash", Ukraine
• Effects of trace elements on technological parameters in mushroom cultivation, Nina Bisko, Doctor of Biological Sciences, a leading researcher in the Department of Mycology Institute of Botany, Ukraine
• Proper mushroom picking, Bartosz Jan Skipor-Rybacki, Poland
• Pinning, Vasile Tabakaru, Amycel, Moldova
• Concept of modern mushroom farm, Taras Bilik, Champion Group
The entertainment program at the conference included: a cooking show, a guided tour around Lviv, a gala dinner with performances from various artistes. We’re waiting for you at the next conference.
Article and photographs supplied courtesy of UMDIS.org